Marriage RequirementsAll applicants must present:
PLEASE CALL FOR AN APPOINTMENT WHEN APPLYING FOR YOUR LICENSE (715-339-3325)
- A photo ID
- A certified birth certificate
- Copy of divorce / annulment decree, certified divorce / annulment certificate, or death certificate from the previous marriage
- Proof of residency including name of municipality and county
- Date and location of ceremony
- Officiant name, address and phone number or email address
- Social Security Number for both persons
The following Court Commissioners are authorized to perform marriages. Once a license is issued any judge, ordained clergy or court commissioner may perform the ceremony.
Fees and Waiting Period
The fee for a license is $75. A five day waiting period is required by the law. The waiting period may be waived by the County Clerk for a good cause. A waiver fee of $5 will be charged. The license is valid for 30 days from the date of issuance and the marriage must be performed within that period.
Any person who has attained the age of 18 years may marry. If a person is between the ages of 16 years and 18 years the license will be issued only with the written consent of parents, guardian or custodian. Consent forms are available in our office.
Application must be made in the county where one party has resided for at least 30 days. The license is then good anywhere in Wisconsin. If both parties are residents of another state, application must be made in the county where the ceremony is to be held.
If either party has been divorced, it must be at least six months after the granting of the Judgment of Divorce before he or she may remarry regardless of where the divorce took place.